Weekend is a very good time to try out this something yummy and chocolaty. It’s the perfect pick-me-up, especially if you’re into chocolate, and let’s face it, who isn’t?
So here’s the yummiest easy to make recipe.
100 g dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa solids) broken up into pieces
300ml double milk cream (1.25 cup)
50g caster sugar (½ cup powdered sugar)
1 large egg white
Chocolate shavings or curls, to garnish
Almond extract (Optional)
Hand-held electric mixer/ electric beater
Bowl inside another bowl filled with ice water
Scale to measure ingredients (opt)
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and set aside. (Cooking chocolate bar preffered)
- In a small saucepan, heat half of the cream until it begins to boil.
Note: this happens faster if you preheat the saucepan before adding the cream.
- Turn off the heat, add the chocolate pieces and stir until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl set over a large bowl of iced water and add the rest of the cream and Amaretto, if using.
- Using a hand-held electric whisk beat the mixture to soft peaks. Remove the bowl from the iced water.
- Separate egg white into a bowl.
- Whisk the egg white with a hand-held electric beater until stiff peak.
- Add the sugar, a tablespoon at a time, and continue whisking to a soft meringue. (Optional: Add ½ tsp almond extract).
- Carefully fold the meringue through the chocolate mixture.
- Spoon into chilled serving bowl, top with chocolate shavings or curls!
This is even better after chilling for 15-30 mins!
With enough practice (and believe me, once you try this, you’ll be more than willing to Try, Try Again!), I’m sure you can pare this process down to 6 minutes. But for the first time, maybe cut yourself a break and allow at least 9-10mins!