We all know that the selfie fever is in nowadays. Whatever the occasion or situation is , whether its before leaving for a party, a hangout with friends or a couple on a vacation a selfie is a must. Selfie basically means taking a picture of yourself or you with your friend(s) by reversing the camera on your phone. Everyone has to take a selfie and post it on social media in order to let the people know what they’re doing or what kind of fun they’re having.
Some day, when you go, there will be a last photo of you floating out there someplace. It’s wild to imagine that some of those last photos were submitted by the subject themselves, but that’s what happened to these people in a series of tragic consequences.
No matter where you stand along the issue of selfies, it’s clear these are all terrible events. Not all of these people put themselves at unnecessary risk for a cool picture, but a few did and that hits it even worse.
- No Fear of Heights Xenia Ignatyeva took a selfie from a bridge 28 feet off the ground to impress her friends. The 17-year-old Russian girl lost her balance and fell on a cable, which tragically electrocuted her.
- Gun Selfie 21-year old Oscar Otero Aguilar lost his life when he tried to take a selfie with a gun for his Facebook page in July of 2014. The Mexican gun enthusiast accidentally shot himself in the head and didn’t survive.
- Jenni Rivera In December of 2012 Mexican pop star Jenni Rivera and her entourage took this selfie right before taking off on a private jet which sadly crashed and left no survivors.
- Happy On April 26, 2014 Courtney Sanford posted this picture of her reacting to the Pharrel Williams song ‘Happy’ while driving through North Carolina; seconds later she crashed into a truck and the accident proved to be fatal.
- MH17 Selfie Gary Slok and his mother took this selfie minutes before taking off from Amsterdam on Malaysian airlines flight MH17, which was shot down over Ukraine in July, 2014.
- On Top of the Train In March 2014 a 21-year-old man died in Jaén, Spain by electrocution when he climbed to the top of a movie train to take a selfie.
- Jadiel This is a selfie snapped by a famous Puerto Rican reggaetón musician Jadiel, uploaded to instagram moments before he had a fatal motorcycle crash in New York in May, 2014.
- Cliff Selfie A Polish couple on vacation in Portugal tried to take a selfie on the edge of a cliff on August 10, 2014 . . . they both fell to their death.
- River Selfie A 13-year-old girl named Karen Hernández wanted to snap a selfie on the banks of the El Tunal river in Durango, Mexico. Unfortunately she fell into the river and drowned; firefighters recovered her body in July.
- Iranian Girls These two women wanted to take a selfie while singing karaoke in their car. The Iranian girls stopped watching the road to record this video and crashed into another car. They survived and took another selfie on the way to the hospital.